Six Savory Wisco Wine & Cheese Pairings
“Eau Claire Wine Guy” William Bernier suggests these combinations of Wisconsin-made cheeses and wines from the award-winning Wollersheim Winery of Prairie du Sac.
1. Castle Rock Organic Farms (Osseo), Smoked Blue Cheese
Pair with Wollersheim Port. The rich, bold flavors of this wine are a near perfect match for a pungent blue cheese.
2. Holland Family Cheese (Thorp), Marieke Gouda
Pair with Wollersheim Dry Riesling, a gentle, nearly dry white with aromas of basil and licorice and a palate of crisp green apple. This wine is a unique, gentle white that won’t overpower the softness of the Gouda.
3. Cady Cheese Factory (Wilson), Colby
Pair with Wollersheim Prairie Fume, a crisp, fresh, semi-dry white bursting with citrus and tropical fruit aromas reminiscent of orange and grapefruit with a hint of sweetness. Perfect for the Colby’s mild, mellow flavor.
4. La Grander’s Hillside Dairy (Stanley), Medium Cheddar
Pair with Wollersheim Pinot Noir. Aromas of black currant, bay leaves, and eucalyptus and a silky palate will complement this Wisconsin favorite.
5. Eau Galle Cheese (Durand), Asiago
Pair with Wollersheim Prairie Sunburst Red, a soft, gentle, and stylish fruity red that will sit nicely with this award-winning Asiago.
6. Ellsworth Cooperative Creamy (Ellsworth), Fresh Cheese Curds
Pair with Wollersheim Prairie Blush, a bright, fruity, and sweet tart blush that will play well with the squeaky saltiness of fresh Ellsworth curds.
Where's the Wine Guy?
William Bernier holds several standing monthly events:
• First Wednesday of every month: Wine dinner at Forage Eau Claire with Chef Michele Thiede.
• Second Thursday of every month: Wine & Food Class/Tasting at Trail’s End, Osseo.
• Last Wednesday of every month: Wine dinner at Tee Away Golf & Super Club in Ladysmith with Chef Andrew Johnson.
• Second Wednesday of the month (June-September): Wine Night at Together Farms in Mondovi.
Bernier also occasionally holds wine dinners at Zanzibar in Menomonie, Johnny’s Italian Steakhouse in Eau Claire and Fannie’s Supper Club in Neillsville and tastings & classes at The Ivory Piano Bar in Eau Claire, Big Guys BBQ in Hudson and Bye the Willow in Chippewa Falls.
Learn more online at facebook.com/EauClaireWineGuy