[UPDATE] Santa Cycle Rampage Bringing Holiday Hijinks to Eau Claire
seasonally-clad cyclists will pedal on Dec. 4
Santas, leave your sleighs at home for this new-to-the-Valley holiday social event.
Eau Claire-area cyclers – Santa, Grinches, and elves alike – are invited to come and dress up in their finest festive fashion for the Santa Cycle Rampage, a six-mile bike ride through town on Sunday, Dec. 4. (The event was originally planned for the morning of Saturday, Dec. 3, but was rescheduled because of inclement weather.)
Don’t worry about the layers weighing you down: This event will be at a casual and friendly “slow roll” pace for all of its festive-dressed attendees. Hop in or out of the holiday circuit at any point, it is all up to you! Come in your own costume – anything from Santas to elves to ugly holiday sweaters. Riders are also encouraged to decorate their bikes for the occasion as well.
The Santa Cycle Rampage is inspired by the Wisconsin Bike Fed, and is based on the original Milwaukee-based event of the same name. The Eau Claire iteration, sponsored in part by Volume One, will begin at noon on Sunday, Dec 4. For those interested in participating in the event, come join the festive group at Phoenix Circle right off the footbridge between the RCU and Jamf buildings. Get into the festive spirit, and be a part of the “red parade” that adds a touch of fun for the community this holiday season!
Learn more and sign up for updates on the event at VolumeOne.org/SantaRampage, and see below for full updated details:
Hello Santa Cycle Rampage Revelers!
Thanks for your interest in coming along for this crazy good time and launching what we hope will be a new tradition!
BIG DAY / TIME CHANGE
Due to tonight’s overnight weather creating hazardous morning travel conditions and below zero windchills, we are moving the Santa Cycle Rampage to this SUNDAY, DEC 4 at NOON!
Yes, we know that’s during a Packer game, but it will be 25 degrees and sunny and the Packers are terrible this year anyway. Plus, you’ll have plenty of time to catch the second half!
So this crazy community of bikers will be leaving at NOON this Sunday from the Phoenix Park circle just off the old rail footbridge between the RCU and JAMF buildings.
Yes, it’s just a silly little 6-mile ride, but here’s a few things to think about and know ahead of this Sunday’s festive fun:
1. BRING FRIENDS: There’s still time to recruit friends and family and spread the word!
Share the link volumeone.org/santarampage wherever you can via social media, email, or just print it out and stick it right on your Christmas tree for all to see. All abilities, bikes, and ages are welcome.
2. PARKING: If you’re driving to the start point, remember there’s a big ol’ parking ramp right there you can put your car. Leave yourself time to get parked and get to the start point in time for all the pre-ride fun.
3. PRIZES: Some friends from The Local Store (your holiday gift headquarters!) will be there handing out gift cards to any favorite costumes or bikes before we roll out. So sell everyone on your seasonal spirit!
4. THE ROUTE: We’re sticking to an urban 6-mile route for this first year’s event, at a fun and friendly slow-roll pace conducive to Santa suits and any crazy costumes.
This time we’ll be mostly on the fully cleared winter bike trail route, though we’ll also ride through downtown and Water Street on mostly bare pavement roads, and then we’ll take it easy up the cleared trail to the high bridge to stop for photo opportunities. Should be great!
The route map is above, but you can just follow the flow. And if you’d like to bike around town at your own pace more after our loop is complete, please do!
5. SAFETY: We’ll be keeping things careful and some on-bike volunteers will help us navigate any key intersections so everyone gets through together. Watch the riders around you and be aware of any moments when the group may stop to let everyone catch up.
If you have any lights, please bring them for your bike to add to the group’s visibility. But know that this is a public ride on public streets and trails, you are ultimately responsible for your own safety, so please pay attention and watch for ice. Helmets are recommended, but get creative!
6. WEATHER: Now that we’ve moved to Sunday, you can expect it to be sunny and near 30 degrees!
7. PHOTOS & VIDEO: Know that the media will probably be out documenting the festivities, so you can watch for yourself later on TV and in photos in print and online. And if you take any great photos, send them to us at firstname.lastname@example.org
8. DONATE: While the event is free to attend, we’d love you to consider donating to the Go Fund Me account for this event which the proceeds of will be split between three local bike non-profits:
- Bike Chippewa Valley,
- the Chippewa Off Road Bike Association (CORBA),
- and the Wisconsin Bike Fed.
You can do that here: https://gofund.me/38cb31da
That’s it! See you Sunday!
- The Santa Cycle Rampage Gang