LOOK: Chippewa Riverfront Project Takes Shape
Whoa! Take a look at the progress on the Chippewa Riverfront project in Chippewa Falls. This photo, taken December 1, provides a good look at the full scope of the project and the dramatic changes taking place. The city hopes the new multi-faceted, riverfront venue will inspire community residents and visitors to gather downtown to enjoy a variety of activities.
According to the Chippewa Falls Department of Parks, Recreation & Forestry, here's what we can expect ...
It will include a large stage with lighting, ground level and slightly raised seating areas, support facilities, trails, fountains, walkways, fishing areas, picnicking shelters, benches, a winter skating ribbon, and public restrooms. (An additional restroom is currently under construction.) The entire park will offer WiFi access.
• Amphitheater for small gatherings and seating for more than 3,000
• Fishing pier and water access for fishing, boating, wildlife viewing
• Canopy cover and a pergola for sun and shade control
• Pavilion for staging events, shows and concerts with full electrical
• Attractively landscaped downtown entryways and parking areas
• Connections to regional trails
• A skating ribbon
• Bike facilities, Wi-Fi, trailheads, picnic facilities, signage, benches
• Parking for 2,000 within one half of a mile
• Enhanced water features and shoreline restoration
The complete project should be able to accommodate a wide array of events, such as outdoor festivals; farmers and other specialty markets; non-profit fundraisers; concerts; plays; art shows; weddings; social gatherings; reunions; music of all types; water events; tube launches; movies in the park; date and family night programs; and more.
Whew! That's a lot of community engagement. What you see in the photo represents the project's first phase of development. Fundraising for Phase 2 is underway, which will add the amphitheater, the stage/canopy, recreational trails, restrooms, an entry plaza, pavilions, and more. Phase 2 is slated to happen throughout 2017 and 2018.