Northern Wisconsin State Fair Canceled for 2020, But Organizers Look Toward 2021
There will be no Northern Wisconsin State Fair this year because of the coronavirus pandemic, organizers announced Monday morning.
“Due to the limitations placed on large public gatherings in terms of logistics, size, and first and foremost, the health and safety of our staff, volunteers, vendors, fair-goers, exhibitors and their families, we have made the very difficult decision to postpone the 2020 NWSF previously slated for July 8-12,” organizers said in a media release. They said it was the first time in the fair’s nearly 123-year history that it had been canceled for the summer.
However, organizer added, main stage entertainment has already been locked in for next year’s fair, which will be July 7-11, 2021. Headliners will include Trace Adkins, Hairball, LANCO, Grand Funk Railroad, and Blue Öyster Cult. In addition, advanced main stage and general admission tickets purchased for 2020 will be honored next year.
Here’s the full announcement:
Looking to 2021
CHIPPEWA FALLS – For the first time in its nearly 123-year history, the Northern Wisconsin State Fair (NWSF) will not go on as planned. Essential to this year’s preparations are the directives of county, state, national and international health agencies, and the ever-evolving COVID-19 pandemic we find ourselves in.
Due to the limitations placed on large public gatherings in terms of logistics, size, and first and foremost, the health and safety of our staff, volunteers, vendors, fair-goers, exhibitors and their families, we have made the very difficult decision to postpone the 2020 NWSF previously slated for July 8-12. We are now working harder than ever to prepare for the 2021 NWSF scheduled for July 7-11 with this year’s Main Stage entertainment already locked in for the new year at the Northern Wisconsin State Fairgrounds in Chippewa Falls.
2021 Main Stage Lineup:
- Wednesday, July 7th: Trace Adkins
- Thursday, July 8th: Hairball
- Friday, July 9th: LANCO
- Saturday, July 10th: Grand Funk Railroad and Blue Öyster Cult
- Buy Tickets Online Today
We will be hosting a virtual tribute on the NWSF website during the week of the originally scheduled 2020 NWSF, July 8-12, to shine a spotlight on all those that truly make this event “A Family Affair.” From exhibitors to sponsors, and everyone in between, our hope is to unite our community and spread some joy through the virtual fair. Everyone is invited and we welcome you to visit our Facebook page and website for further updates on the virtual fair. If you would like to contribute to this tribute by sending a picture of you and your exhibit (or just the exhibit) to this link - you can still be a part of the show!
For 2020 NWSF Ticketholders:
- Your 2020 Advance Ticket is Good for 2021
- If you purchased a Main Stage ticket these tickets will be good for 2021: Trace Adkins (July 7th), Hairball (July 8th), LANCO (July 9th), and Grand Funk Railroad and Blue Oyster Cult (July 10th)
- If you purchased a General Fair Admission ticket these will be good for 2021 (If you purchased a 5-day wristband it will be good July 7-11, 2021 and if you purchased a One-Day ticket it will be valid for the day you select for 2021)
Additionally, the following events have been cancelled or rescheduled:
- Chi-Hi Extravaganza for April 18th – rescheduled for April 17, 2021
- Chippewa County Clean Sweep rescheduled for June 23-24, 2020
- SpringFest Chippewa Falls is rescheduled for May 21 – 22,2021. All pre event tickets sold will be honored:
- Boogie & the YoYo’z – Friday, May 21st
- Chris Kroeze – Saturday, May 22nd
- ALS Walk (Fund Raiser) – Postponed to June 13, 2021
- Good Sam RV Rally – Postponed to 2021
- Who Knew Pop Up Market – Cancelled
Scheduled Fairground Events:
- District 1 Holstein Show June 13 – 15
- One Fest July 24 – 26
- Indianhead Car Show Aug 2
- Century Bike Ride Aug 9
- Big Rig Truck Show Aug 14 - 16
- June Dairy Days Aug 19
- GMC Summer Rally Aug 21 – 23
- Wisconsin Sports Show Sept 11 - 13
- Beer Fest Sept 19
- Indianhead Gun Show Sept 25 – 27
- Chippewa Valley Quilt Show Oct 3 – 4
- Oz Run Oct 10
- Special Kids Pumpkin party Oct 14
- Chippewa County Clean Sweep Oct 24
The 2021 Northern Wisconsin State Fair is scheduled for July 7 – 11th.
As always, we are working closely with Chippewa County Health Department, City of Chippewa Falls, Chippewa Falls PD, and Fire and Emergency Services on safety and social distancing requirements for each event. Our goal is to slowly bring back events at the Fairgrounds for our community to enjoy. Stay tuned to ever changing developments through this pandemic.
This would have been the 123rd year of the Northern Wisconsin State Fair serving the Chippewa Valley. Each year the fair offers a plethora of family-fun activities and big-name artists known across the world. From agriculture, to food, carnival rides and games, educational exhibits, vendor shows, and more, the Northern Wisconsin State Fair is truly a “Family Affair.”
Like many other industries, the Fair and Festival industry has taken a severe financial hit because of this unprecedented pandemic. To keep the Fair alive, the Northern Wisconsin State Fair Association is reaching out to its community for any donations that can be made. If you are interested in donating, please follow this link. Thank you in advance for your consideration.
The NWSF Office is closed to the public. To make things easier, please use email (firstname.lastname@example.org) as a first option for any general questions on events, questions about tickets or if you are looking for a job during the 2021 NWSF. You can also call the office at 715-723-2861 Ext 101 and someone will get back to you as soon as possible.
Please check our website and our Facebook page for continuing updates.
Together we will get through this.
Rusty Volk CFE
Northern Wisconsin State Fair Association, Inc.