A Pet by Any Other Name Wouldn't Sound as Sweet
Tips and Suggestions to Help You Name Your Pet
• Don’t name your pet right away. Take a few days or so to get to know the pet a little, and then try to pick a name that fits its personality.
• Name your pet after something you’re very passionate about, something like a favorite book/movie character, musician, actor, actress, sports person or announcer.
• Some people like to give their pets people names, especially within bigger families, to make the pet feel like one of the family.
• The obits are a good bet for name ideas … just a bit morose.
• If you get more than one pet, try naming them in pairs (e.g. Sonny and Cher, or Flotsam and Jetsam).
• Naming pets after whole families is fun (e.g. the Flintstones), although it makes things difficult and potentially sadder when one dies.
• Pets can have nicknames, too (e.g. a cat named Mittens for white feet can end up being called Fatty for a different physical attribute).
• Name pets after celebrities they may look like (e.g. Ed Beagle-y Jr., Sarah Jessica Barker, or Will Ferret).
• Pick seven scrabble tiles and name the pet for the highest point word you can make with those tiles.
• If you’re used to scolding your children by first and last name (e.g. “Trevor J. Kupfer! Get you’re @** home NOW!”), try giving your pet a last name and they’ll feel like one of the family. Add a middle initial for extra realism (e.g. “Corky T Stone! Get out of the garden!” or “Pebbles J McGuire! Don’t you dare poop on the carpet!”).
• Consider giving your pet an official title (e.g. Doctor, Mister, Lieutenant, Officer) to prefix their name.
• When naming for a physical attribute, think outside of the box. Fluffy certainly describes your pet’s squeezable softness, but it’s lame. Whereas, Charmin takes the name of a soft toilet paper, thus getting the idea across, and is less lame.
• Give your dog a name you’re not embarrassed to call out at the dog park.
Think Outside of the Litter Box
Our Favorite Pet Names Suggested by V1 Contributors and Twitter Followers
• Sir Cuddleston Puppy Butt
• Midori Raven Basementcat
• Fred Savage
• Ozzy Osbird
• Tom Hanksly
• Bottle Caps
• Melonball Z
• Aloysius Snuffleupagus
• Quag Chambers
• Bartholomew Buttermilk
• Sergeant Meowsalot
• Attila the Hun
• Augustus Gloop
• Mr. Schneebly