Get Involved at Volume One
A bit about us up front.
Launched in 2002, Volume One is an integrated media company and community action agency that has received numerous awards and widespread praise for its community aesthetic and unique voice -- a voice that not only reflects the hearts and minds of the community, but gently pulls them in new directions. We're an editorially led, public-driven community of staff and contributors providing content and creating experiences for readers and leaders across a broad demographic spectrum.
We are writers, editors, designers, programmers, marketers, photographers, and leaders. We have a high-energy, creative culture. We are idealistic but practical. We work pretty damn hard but we leave time for some fun too. And most importantly, we all work towards a better future for not only ourselves and our company, but for the collective whole of our community. As the fastest growing media brand in our market, our portfolio currently includes:
Volume One Magazine
Volume One, a twice-monthly paper packed with feature stories, special sections, and the most robust event listings found anywhere in our market.
VolumeOne.org, an online destination and network of websites updated daily with fresh editorial, photos, a restaurant guide, short-form video features, and really tons more.
Chippewa Valley Family
Volume One's sister publication - a complete print, online, and social guide for local events, listings, stories, and perspectives, all delivered through a family-oriented lens that explores themes including community, discovery, creativity, activity, living, and more. Visit ChippewaValleyFamily.org »
Guides and mags that exist on their own include Eat Scene, Night Out, Hot Spots, Holiday Handbook, Student City Guide, the Outside Guide, and some additional partner publications.
The Local Store
A 1,000-square-foot retail space featuring local books, music, art, gifts, and apparel – all either created by someone local, or simply evoking local in some way. Our own team designs much of the product line.
The Volume One Gallery
A 600-square-foot art gallery featuring rotating shows and receptions, along with live music, film screenings, book readings, tastings, parties, and more.
Each year tens of thousands have attended: Sounds Like Summer Concert Series, Chalkfest, Winter After Hours, Idea Lounge, Back-Alley Cinema Series, and more.
click photos to enlarge
click photos to enlarge
3D Virtual Tour of the Volume One office
Courtesy of SpinVision - Virtual Tours, Eau Claire
All of the following benefits are available to full-time employees,
and many of them are also available to part-timers and interns.
Home, Health & Family Life
- Family gym membership
- Bike/walk to work program with stipend
- Maternity/Paternity/Adoption paid and unpaid time off
- Paid Bereavement Leave
- Gallery Party Access for Family & Friends
Vacation & Holiday Time
- Eight paid holidays
- 1 week paid vacation immediately
2 weeks paid vacation after 1 year
3 weeks paid vacation after 3 years
4 weeks paid vacation after 5 years
- Additional 10 unpaid personal days
- 3 paid non-profit volunteer days per year
- Annual stipend for serving on a non-profit board of directors
- 24 hours/year available for mid-day community committee meetings
Professional Development & Personal Financial Health
- 3% matching retirement IRA contributions
- Technology purchase program
- Continuing education reimbursement
- A relaxed, fun office environment
- Daily staff Caffeination Station
- Free Beer Fridays
- Wednesday Donut Buffets
- Free extra stuff: tix, ski passes, gift cards, etc
- Mileage reimbursement
- Local Store discount
- Unemployment compensation
- Workers Compensation
- Social Security
Dedicated to our Community
Beyond working for Volume One, our staff is involved in the city and state through invitations to serve on the Board of Directors of a variety of community organizations, including:
- Eau Claire Chamber of Commerce
- Visit Eau Claire
- Wisconsin Arts Board
- Downtown Eau Claire, Inc
- The Community Table
- North Barstow Business District Chippewa Valley Museum Friends of the Library Chippewa Valley Book Festival
- Community Television
- Clear Vision Eau Claire
- Eastside Hill Neighborhood Comprehensive Plan Citizen Advisors North Riverfronts Neighborhood
- Eau Claire Sculpture Tour
- Western Wisconsin Press Club Literacy Volunteers
As an organization, Volume One has received numerous unsolicited awards for our work in the Chippewa Valley community. A few include:
- 2016 Small Business of the Year
from the Eau Claire Chamber of Commerce
- Outstanding Publication Award
from International Economic Development Council
- Quality of Place Enhancement Award
from Synergy Economic Development Group
- Above and Beyond Award
from Downtown Eau Claire, Inc.