It’s time to tip our collective hats (and maybe tip back a pint or two) to all those who help our job creators in celebration of the Third Annual Economic Development Week, which runs May 7-12. In Eau Claire, the week will be marked with business lunches, mixers, educational sessions, and even an official proclamation.
So what’s Economic Development Week? It was created a few years back to the International Economic Development Council to “increase awareness for local programs that create jobs, advance career development opportunities and increase the quality of life.” Economic development is the often behind-the-scenes work at the intersection of the public and private sectors that keeps the economy humming. According to a press release, the City of Eau Claire is marking Economic Development Week “to celebrate the profession and the professionals that work hard to create opportunities for all citizens and their communities.”
The week will begin with an official proclamation issued by Eau Claire City Council President Kerry Kincaid at the council’s meeting on Tuesday, May 8. Other events are as follows:
Wednesday, May 9
• 1 Million Cups – Eau Claire | 9-10am at the Chippewa Valley Technical College, 620 W Clairemont Ave., Eau Claire
• Eau Claire Area Chamber of Commerce Sixth Annual Working Mothers Luncheon | noon-1:30pm at the River Prairie Center, 1445 Front Porch Place, Altoona
• Musky Tank Mixer – Betting on the Right Jockey! | 6:30-8pm at Modicum Brewing Co., 3732 Spooner Ave., Altoona
Thursday, May 10
• Business Loans in Greater Eau Claire hosted by the City of Eau Claire | noon-1pm at The French Press, 2823 London Road, Eau Claire This event features presentations from the Western Dairyland Revolving Loan Fund, Regional Business Fund, and the City of Eau Claire Loan Programs.
• Chippewa Valley Job Fair | noon-12:30pm (veterans only), 12:30-4pm (general public) at Eau Claire Indoor Sports Center, 3456 Craig Road, Eau Claire
• Business Plan Basics | 6-9pm at Western Dairyland Business Center, 418 Wisconsin St., Eau Claire
Saturday, May 12
• Creative Economy Week Eau Claire is celebrating Creative Economy Week May 12-19. As a key strategy of economic development in the Eau Claire area, check out all events beginning May 12 to celebrate the Creative Economy.