Make the Farmers Market a Family Outing
Looking for an activity that is fun and economical? Why not visit the local farmers market? Visiting the local farmers market is a great family activity. There is a variety of fresh fruits, vegetables, and herbs to choose from.
Buying fruits, vegetables, and herbs at the farmers market supports the local economy and farmers. You also have a chance to ask the farmers how the produce was grown.You can involve your children in choosing fruits and vegetables.
For younger children, give them a choice of two foods at a time to select from such as broccoli or cauliflower. For older children, they have a chance to discover new less-familiar vegetables such as an eggplant, kohlrabi, or zucchini. There may be free samples to try.
Here are some shopping tips to make yours a great trip to the market:
Source: WI WIC Program
- Shop early in the morning for the best selection.
- Shop through-out the farmers’ market season.
- Different vegetables and fruits are sold each month.
- Let your child choose a fruit or vegetable.
- You will find that farmers have more to sell after July 15.