6 Savory Wisco Wine & Cheese Pairings from William Bernier
“Eau Claire Wine Guy” William Bernier suggests these combinations of Wisconsin-made cheeses and wines from the award-winning Wollersheim Winery of Prairie du Sac.
1. Castle Rock Organic Farms (Osseo), Smoked Blue Cheese. Pair with Wollersheim Port. The rich, bold flavors of this wine are a near perfect match for a pungent blue cheese.
2. Holland Family Cheese (Thorp), Marieke Gouda. Pair with Wollersheim Dry Riesling, a gentle, nearly dry white with aromas of basil and licorice and a palate of crisp green apple. This wine is a unique, gentle white that won’t overpower the softness of the Gouda.
3. Cady Cheese Factory (Wilson), Colby. Pair with Wollersheim Prairie Fume, a crisp, fresh, semi-dry white bursting with citrus and tropical fruit aromas reminiscent of orange and grapefruit with a hint of sweetness. Perfect for the Colby’s mild, mellow flavor.
4. La Grander’s Hillside Dairy (Stanley), Medium Cheddar. Pair with Wollersheim Pinot Noir. Aromas of black currant, bay leaves, and eucalyptus and a silky palate will complement this Wisconsin favorite.
5. Eau Galle Cheese (Durand), Asiago. Pair with Wollersheim Prairie Sunburst Red, a soft, gentle, and stylish fruity red that will sit nicely with this award-winning Asiago.
6. Ellsworth Cooperative Creamy (Ellsworth), Fresh Cheese Curds. Pair with Wollersheim Prairie Blush, a bright, fruity, and sweet tart blush that will play well with the squeaky saltiness of fresh Ellsworth curds.